Recipes | Pesang Isda (Fish in Ginger Soup)

pesang isda lapu lapu
Pesang Isda (Lapu Lapu)

I grew up in an island barangay where fish and other seafood is abundant. During my younger years, I usually am out in the sea, specially during low tide to pick clams and other seafood. So it's no wonder that even up to now, seafood dish is my favorite. I especially like it when it is cooked simply with minimal or no oil at all, just like this pesang lapu lapu.

I missed simple dish like this that yesterday (a holiday), I shopped for its ingredients and decided to have it for lunch. Below is the recipe for pesang lapu lapu.

Ingredients

500 grams fish, around 2 small lapu lapu (I used lapu lapu but other fish like tilapia will do)
1 onion, sliced
1 bulb native garlic, crushed
1 bunch of pechay Baguio
2 bunches of Taiwan pechay
2 medium-size potatoes, cut into quarters
3 thumb-size ginger, crushed
5 cups of rice water
2 tbsp fish sauce
salt
peppercorn
oil, for sautéing

How to make pesang isda

1.  Clean and cut the fish into half, season with salt and set aside.
2.  In a pan, sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
3.  Pour-in rice water, add the fish and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes.
4.  Add in potatoes, fish sauce, salt and peppercorn and then simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
5.  Add Taiwan pechay and pechay Baguio and simmer for another 3 minutes.

That's it, pesang isda (lapu-lapu) is ready to serve. Best served with warm rice and calamansi and chili with fish sauce or soy sauce as dip. Enjoy!

Servings: good for 4
Cost: Around 500 Php as of post-date

Post a Comment

0 Comments